Forums

How do I give access to PERSCOM application overall without making users site admin?

ShawnJPN

Title says it all, looking to give people access to this system to update and build out but do not want them to be website admins to be able to mess with most other stuff. I thought that creating a group titled PERSCOM Administrators and then simply adding people to it will allow them to work on it but it only lets them approve/deny applications...

How do I give access to PERSCOM application overall without making users site admin?

Edited by ShawnJPN

• Administrators

@Matthew Hawkins, check your Support Request. I sent you an update. I think I have identified the issue. I need a client who is experiencing this issue to contact me so I can validate the bug as I am having difficult replicating it. Preferably a client who does not use IPB Cloud but uses self-hosted...

Owner
Deschutes Design Group LLC
email | jon@deschutesdesigngroup.com

On 1/16/2021 at 4:42 PM, Jon Erickson said:

@Matthew Hawkins, check your Support Request. I sent you an update. I think I have identified the issue. I need a client who is experiencing this issue to contact me so I can validate the bug as I am having difficult replicating it. Preferably a client who does not use IPB Cloud but uses self-hosted...

If needed Jon I can spin up the test enviro we used a while back, we are experiencing the issue aswell so I can re mirror the site to the test enviro so you can have a look at that?

• Like 1

• Administrators

That actually would be great @Ashton. I think I've addressed the issue. It is a bazaar one. But essentially the .json file holding the ACP restrictions appears to get corrupted through the installation routine. I'd like to test a fresh install and an upgrade if possible. 

Owner

On 1/16/2021 at 11:42 AM, Jon Erickson said:

Responded to the support req a couple days ago, but we are Cloud hosted.

8 hours ago, Ashton said:

If needed Jon I can spin up the test enviro we used a while back, we are experiencing the issue aswell so I can re mirror the site to the test enviro so you can have a look at that?

I'd be grateful if you could, sadly I am Cloud hosted too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

To everyone affected by this IPB bug, please submit a support ticket, or reply if you have a current ticket open with your ACP login details. We have developed a plugin to specifically fix this bug that will work on IPB Cloud as well. Thanks.

@Matthew Hawkins

@ShawnJPN

• Thanks 1

Owner

2 hours ago, Jon Erickson said:

If you are using IPB Cloud, you can attempt to contact Support and have them replace the file manually. 

IPB support has no access to the the website files for Cloud apparently  - it's entirely unmanaged and they have no way to access it. Just got shot down by their support team. Will contact via ticket to pursue the plugin fix.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 10:29 PM, Jon Erickson said:

We found a bug in IPBs core software that is causing this issue. We have submitted the bug and IPB staff have confirmed the bug and have stated it will be fixed in their next release. 

Alright thanks, I guess I'll be eagerly waiting for their next release.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Funny - 4.5.4.2 was released a month ago. I’m not sure why the date shows today. I did a update check as well and nothing is showing new for download. Looks like just a mess up on their documentation. They are getting ready to release 4.6 which will be a large release hence the time it is taking. 

Owner

• 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet this week and dropped a few hundred dollars to buy an Invision license. IPB staff were able to provide me a full SQL backup of the website, so I was able to restore all website and PERSCOM data on a self-hosted cloud server.

Wasn't super easy, wouldn't recommend if you're not a technical person, but it's possible.

• Administrators
On 5/4/2021 at 8:30 AM, Matthew Hawkins said:

Bit the bullet this week and dropped a few hundred dollars to buy an Invision license. IPB staff were able to provide me a full SQL backup of the website, so I was able to restore all website and PERSCOM data on a self-hosted cloud server.

Wasn't super easy, wouldn't recommend if you're not a technical person, but it's possible.

Glad to hear. Kinda comical how they have refused to fix this bug before there next major release. No hot fix or anything. Seems like an important bug to fix in my opinion. 

Owner

• 6 months later...