Forums

Award Citation

Luke Hickton

Good Morning,

I don't know how easy it would be, but would it be possible to also add a box for an Award Citation?

image.thumb.png.7775832408c7f89ad174ffeb7ad17f17.png

To the left of where it says "View Document" it would say "View Citation" if one is present.  It would only need to be a simple text box, no data to be pulled in, as it would be hand written by our awarding officers.  The Citation for the Navy Cross in the image above shows:

Commodore Olsen has constantly and continually performed above and beyond the standards of a Commanding Officer. Commodore Olsen has shown superior and dedicated levels of support to his staff, and leadership to the Navy, and the wider corps. Commodore Olsen has, through the selection and appointment of appropriate staff, grown and developed Training Ship Phoenix, increasing activeness and general members resulting in a high number of officers and SNCO\'s culminating in the creation of two divisions.\r\nHe is one of the longest serving Commanding Officers of TS Phoenix, from 2006 to 2008, and 2009 has seen him once again rise to the plate, and pull TS Phoenix back from the ashes. He has restored Warrior Division, and thrust the Navy into the lead with the BETA release of the Element Training Programme. He has also been the leader of the Navy Blog, and many features that keep the Navy active, and motivated. He is approachable by all, and this is what makes him one of the more successful Commanding Officers in WCC History. I believe that he has made a true footprint on the Navy, and thoroughly deserves the bar to his Cross.\r\nStep forward Commodore Olson and accept your Navy Cross bar.\r\n

This is way to much to put in the service record, so just a text box to add it to would be great.

Thanks

Luke

Edited by Luke Hickton

• Administrators

Luke, PERSCOM uses documents for citation purposes. If you create a document with the text you displayed above and assign it to the service record, this should work! You can also put variables in the document text that will be auto translated to whichever soldier the citation is for. Hope this helps!

Owner
Deschutes Design Group LLC
email | jon@deschutesdesigngroup.com

Hi Jon,

Apologies for the late reply, my concern with the use of documents in that way, we will lose the consistency of the format over time.  What I would like to know is if as a new feature, a new text box is added here:

image.png.4156252e9bdf3e785f023fcf578b1a9c.png

This would allow us to put a personalised citation on each award without having to create a document for every medal we award (we would be in the thousands just for what we're transferring over).  We could pull it into the document by using a short-code such as {citation} which allows us to keep the consistency throughout whilst adding a personal touch to each document

Thanks

Luke

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

I was wondering if the above is possible?  I will be importing our medals in directly into the database and will make a new column in the database so we don't lose previous citations if this is possible, named service_records_citation.  It would be unfeasible for us to utilise the documents system for what we do, as it would strip out the uniformed look and we would be required to write 3000 documents for our previous medals alone that we are copying over.  I dread to think what that would look like when trying to select a document.

Thanks
Luke